Chancellor's arose from the ashes of the Civil War.
A man named Alexander Claringdon Chancellor once lived in a large mansion at a crossroads in Virginia known as Chancellorsville. On May 1st 1863, Chancellorsville was home to the second bloodiest battle of the Civil War, the Battle of Chancellorsville. Shortly after, Chancellor's home was used as a hospital and later burned to the ground by the Union Army. Chancellor, with no money to his name, then rode south to Columbus, Georgia to start a new.
Chancellor started working at Thornton and Acee, a dry goods store, which he later bought interest in. The store underwent many alterations and operated under several titles, first being Chancellor and Pearce, then the "A.C. Chancellor Company", and finally in 1931, "Chancellor's".
Chancellor's was bought by Roger Stinson in 2007, who has not deviated far from A.C. Chancellor's 19th century vision for the store. To learn more about the store's history, visit us at our Downtown location or contact us online.